- What plagiarism detection software is available to online instructors?
- Instructors use both automated and manual plagiarism detection methods. TURNITIN.com is the plagiarism software detection of choice. Turnitin.com is an automated plagiarism detection method that calculates a percentage of copied text. Instructions like to use this in conjunction with manual methods to detect plagiarism.
- How can the design of assessments help prevent academic dishonesty?
- The design of assessments can help prevent academic dishonesty by challenging the learner to apply critical thinking skills rather than regurgitated answers. If the learner has to apply what he/she has learned than the desire for academic dishonesty will diminish. Online education for the adult learner should be about application (doing), not question and answer.
- What facilitation strategies do you propose to use as a current or future online instructor?
- Facilitation strategies I propose to use as a future online instructor are:
- Discussions: the discussion format encourages learners to analyze alternative ways of thinking
- Self-directed learning: is initiated and directed by the learner and, can included self-pace, independent and individualized learning
- Small and large group learning: learners can discuss content, share ideas, and solve problems
- Projects: online projects give students an opportunity to pursue their special interests and can be done individually or within groups.
- Case studies: requires learners to draw upon their past experiences, and is participatory and has action components which are links to future experience
- Collaborative learning: the process of getting two or more students to work together to learn.
- What additional considerations for online teaching should be made to help detect or prevent cheating and plagiarism?
- With the online learning environment for the adult learner, to prevent cheating and plagiarism more emphasis needs to on plagiarism by communicating to the online learner in the form of education. Updating and keeping the student abreast of what plagiarism is and frequency should reduce the amount of offenses.
I think that most cheating and plagiarism online by mishap. I personally did not realize that an online learner could plagiarize form himself or herself. Education is the key to prevention for plagiarism in the online community.
Jocoy, C., & DiBiase, D. (2006). Plagiarism by adult learners online: A case study in detection and remediation. International Review of Research in Open & Distance Learning, 7(1), 1-15. Retrieved from the Walden Library using the Education Research Complete database